Progress Update 3

As I have been thinking about this project more and what this downward spiral towards the future means, I have begun to consider more of a series of images. In addition to my initial tunnel idea, I think it wold be interesting to create an image that shows more of this future that exists at the end of the tunnel. I think one of the things about tunnels, and thus tunnel vision, is that you only see a small view of the greater destination. I think that plays in perfectly to my idea of the future and how it is not necessarily perfect. Often when we consider the future we take one of two stances. We either view the future hopefully and look towards a world without much of the pain and suffering of the modern day and new innovations to make life better. Or we view the future as dystopian and we recognize the impacts of things like climate change and possibilities of more war and destruction. I think it would be cool to explore both ideas within my piece. Maybe while the view of the future in my image of the tunnel is hopeful, a larger image of the future demonstrates some of the less desirable aspects of the future. 

I think one of the things I might explore is a rotted foundation. I think the concept of foundation is so intriguing when applied to the idea of the future. Many of the actions we do today, lay the foundation for the future and affect in both beneficial and harmful ways. When I consider this idea, I envision a modern futuristic city where the foundation of the streets and the buildings are rotted. They are starting to chip away, much like an abandoned building. I think it might be interesting to explore trying to apply that to this futuristic city so that while through the tunnel we only see the bright and colorful top of buildings, when we finally see the future as a whole we recognize the rotted foundation or the ways in which the future is imperfect. 

I kind of started to explore the effects on some of the buildings on the city image I used in my last version of the tunnel image. I used a rock pillar to cover the skyscraper and I think it shows a more natural base that contrasts the sleek modern top. I also played around with the color match adjustment to see how it worked and might use it later on to help match the various colors and lighting types within my image. I think I might also explore different ways to build the futuristic city such as incorporating a form of flying transportation or other futuristic inventions and explore more ways in which the bottom of the image can appear more decayed and aged and how that transition could be more gradual.  Overall, right now I'm testing ideas and will shortly begin to try a new original composition in which I can craft my futuristic city from scratch. 




Some of the original images used:


Comments